Friday, May 25, 2012

35 Years Ago Today, A Movie Phenomenon Began...




I remember seeing the ads for this new movie that was coming out called Star Wars, and I wanted so badly to go see it in the theater. Unfortunately, we were not fortunate financially, and my Dad's work schedule did not allow for trips to a theater. So, I waited until 1982, when it premiered on VHS to see it, and I absolutely LOVED it!!!!!! However, I collected several items connected to Star Wars, including the action figures and vehicles from Kenner. I would play out my own adventures with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca and all the other indelible and iconic characters. I eventually got to see The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as well (seeing Jedi in the theaters). In 1997, when the Special Editions came out, I jumped at the chance to see the original trilogy in theaters, with newly enhanced special effects and new scenes. It was so great to see the movies on the Big Screen for the first time, and it led the way to the Prequels, which depending on your point of view, were either really great or ruined Star Wars for all time. I still maintain that the original trilogy is the best, with Empire being my favorite, followed by Star Wars at number 2 and Jedi as third. The Prequels were, well, OK, but not nearly as good as the original trilogy. I own the entire saga on DVD, as well as the soundtracks, with great music by John Williams (some of it Oscar-winning), and it is always great to go back to that Galaxy Far, Far Away. Oh, and one more thing-May The Force Be With You!!!!!!

No comments: