Monday, June 11, 2012

Transcription of a News Article from the Delta Democrat Times, June 22, 1971 of a possible Sasquatch Sighting in Greenville, Mississippi

'Monster' reported in Greenville

By Sally Anne Nerlett

DDT State Editor

"I saw something last night that I have never seen before. I don't know what it was, I can just tell you what it looked like." Those were the words of Mrs. Mae Pearl Young of 215 S. Seventh St, Greenville, as she told the Delta Democrat-Times Monday about a "monster" she had seen earlier in the morning. "It was about 2:30 this morning," she said. "I had left home and gone over to my daughter's at 487 N. Colorado St. I went over there and stayed in the car for a while, then something told me I ought to get out of the car and go in the house." Mrs. Young said she got out of the car and went to the front door of the house, but decided since it was so late to walk around to the bedroom window on the side to call her daughter rather than knocking on the door and waking up the neighbors. "When I went around to the side of the house and got almost to the bedroom window I saw it," she said. "It was black and over six feet tall.
"It had a great big head and looked like it had broad shoulders and its hands on its hips," she said. Mrs. Young said that at first she thought it was her shadow, magnified and thrown out of shape, but that when she moved it didn't. "I went back to the corner of the house and turned around and it was still there," she said. "I screamed and it still didn't move. I have never seen anything like it before. It was jet black and I couldn't see the eyes or anything. It was the dreadfullest thing I have ever seen in my life." She said she made it on in the home without it moving, but that she was still extremely frightened. "My son in law would have called the police, but we were scared to go back out of the house and the closest phone was next door." Mrs. Young said the "thing" was gone this morning when she and her daughter went out to look after daylight. "My daughter said she could see some marks like something had been standing there but I was still so shook up I couldn't tell.

"I am still shook up from it," she continued. I have been trying to figure out what it could have been. It was the biggest thing I have ever seen and the blackest thing I have ever seen." Greenville Police Chief W.C. Burnsby said Monday that the police department had had several calls from people who had heard a rumor that there was a "monster in Arkansas" but that there had been no reports of anyone having seen anything here.-Delta Democrat-Times, June 22, 1971

2 comments:

scskookum said...

Great report. Thanks.

scskookum said...

Great report. Thanks.