Saturday, August 08, 2009

Movie Review: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra


Terrific popcorn entertainment (Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)

I just saw it at my local theater where they had a special midnight showing, and what a trip it was!!! I thought the acting was pretty good, not great, the special effects were pretty cool and the characters were well thought out.

High points: Levitt, Miller, Nichols and Park as their respective characters were really good. Marlon Wayans was pretty cool as Ripcord and not nearly as jokey as perhaps first thought. The fights between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow also rocked (I am glad that the final film does not have Snake Eyes speaking after (*Spoiler*) he kills Storm Shadow like in the script.

Low points: Destro's "mask" (hope they fix that for the sequel), Cobra Commander's mask (which Sommers indicated he might go to the mirrored battle helmet version in the sequel) and also the "acting" of Channing Tatum (stiff as a board).

It is definitely a fun movie, and pretty much the culmination (for me) of 27 years of waiting for a live-action treatment of my favorite '80's toyline/comic/cartoon. I give it about a 4 out of 5 stars. I do recommend seeing it at least once.

No comments: