Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Review: Monsterquest 12-12-07

This show examined melanistic big cats similar to mountain lions, only black in color. An Emil McCain is interviewed about his impressions on it, and a fellow named David Johnson shows his photos of a large black cat. Scott Lope, a director for a Big Cat preserve in Florida, examines the photos and believes it to be a domestic. Heidi Bailey, a biologist from Texas, agrees with Lope's findings. Several eyewitnesses are interviewed, from Oklahoma, Texas and Minnesota. A farmer in Choctaw, Oklahoma is interviewed regarding losing several livestock items on his farm due to a large black cat. A wildlife expert from the Sooner State is of the opinion that the cats are not black.
A fellow named Eric Atkison walks his fence line every night with a large spotlight and rifle with hollow-point bullets. He had a 250-pound Llama killed by an alleged large black cat. Eric finds a large cat track while out on his nightly walk. It is believed that the black cats might be black leopards. A professor at Johns Hopkins University believes large black cats are in people's heads. A farmer close to Atkison, Dale Smith, is also losing livestock to a large black "mountain lion". Smith and Atkison band together to try to hunt down the cat. A videotape taken in West Virginia of an alleged black cat is examined and determined to be inconclusive but interesting. There is some DNA found and sent to the mohawked Todd Disotell, who examines the evidence and finds-well, watch the encore for yourself to see. It was a fairly good episode. The next Monsterquest will deal with Giant Fish, next Wednesday at 10:00 EST/9:00 Central on the History Channel. Check local listings for time and channel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

black panthers do exist in oklahoma. My wife and I stood face to face with a black panther with no more than 40 feet between us in broad day light. the cat was stalking our three small dogs and was blocking our narrow walking path, crouched and ready to pounce. not a jaguar, it had no sign of any spots or pattern. he looked just like the panthers I've seen all my life in a zoo. his head was not square like the jaguars in the zoo and it's tail was longer. this cat was around 150 pounds or so, solid black and sleek looking. I would like to share my story, I get so upset with these so called experts saying they don't exist when my wife and I probably had the most up close and personal face to face meeting that ever happened possibly. I know others that have seen them. they exist!

richard

Anonymous said...

After watching the Monsterquest episode on the black panthers and listening to the so called experts that claim they do not exist, I have to say hog wash!! My husband and I, along with our two teenage kids, live 10 miles south of Fort Smith, Arkansas and we have seen one. We built our home in 2002 on 80 acres and during that time we would stay 2 or 3 days a week and on weekends in our camper. Late at night or early in the morning we would all hear, what sounded like a woman screaming. It scared me, and especially our daughter. None of us had never heard anything like that before. I volunteered with the local conservation district and they told me it was probably just a cougar. After we moved in, we would hear it almost every night around 1:30am - 2:00am. Then one night around 11:00pm, my husband and I went to the barn to check on a mare that was ready to foal, and we saw a VERY LARGE, very black cat, slinking/stalking his way to the barn. My husband ran back to the house for his shotgun, and I ran to the barn to the horses. I must have startled the “cat” because it bolted away into the woods. Three days later when the Farrier came, we both noticed large scratches on the neck of our big (16.3hh) gelding. They looked like very large cat scratches. We haven’t heard or seen the cat since 2003 and I hope we never do again!