Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Editorial: Sasquatch or Bigfoot: Which Do You Prefer?

Shakespeare once wrote, "What's In A Name?" Well, when it comes to large hairy bipeds in the United States, two names are most prominent-Sasquatch, an old Salish Indian word coined by writer J.W. Burns in the late-1920's which means "Wild Man Of The Woods," and Bigfoot, a word coined by a group of road-construction workers in 1958 when a series of large, humanlike tracks were found in the Bluff Creek Valley of northwestern California. In some regions, the creatures have been called "Boogers," "Wildman," "Hoodoos," "Haints" and even "Gorillas." But the two more prominent names are definitely the subject of this editorial. Now, the term Sasquatch is preferred by many researchers, including the late Dr. Grover Krantz, because it sounds more scientific, whereas Bigfoot is more of a description of a part of the creature's anatomy then describing the creature as a whole. Sometimes the two terms are interchangeable and used equally by some researchers. I myself prefer Sasquatch, but I have been known to use Bigfoot as well from time to time, and I have no problem interchanging between the two. My question to my readers is, which do YOU prefer? Make your comments here, or send me your thoughts at giantape20042000@yahoo.com and I will tally up the results here on the blog.

No comments: